Kids are back to school in less than three weeks!
I have grand plans of keeping my family organized and happy during our before and after school routines. We’ll see how it goes…by May of last school year our mornings were pretty frenzied and not at all fun. So as I think about this year, this is what I would like to accomplish:
For before school:
– Prepare their clothes and pack their lunches THE NIGHT BEFORE. (self-talk: “JUST DO IT WOMAN! FOR THE LOVE! HOW HARD IS IT?!?!”)
– Start getting up early enough to have myself psuedo-ready before the kids wake up.
– Prepare a decently healthy and hearty breakfast. (Note: Find healthy breakfast stuff they’ll actually eat.)
– Institute a consistent spiritual moment before school; whether a quick prayer together, a scripture reading, listening to a snippet of a podcast during breakfast, or some combination thereof.
For after school:
– Maintain a consistent after school chore routine.
– Keep the “backpack” area free of clutter and train kids to actually use this area for their backpacks.
– Train them to empty their lunch bags when they get home from school so I’m not frantically washing lunch containers the next morning.
– Deal with school paperwork quickly before it takes over and buries us all alive.
– Allow them a quick snack and one TV show to decompress before then beginning reading assignments and homework.
Ahhh…if only I could be “that mom” as I’ve described above, instead of the constantly hurried and frazzled mom that I actually am most days. I am going to give it my best effort people! How long does it take to form a habit? Maybe if I aim to live this way thru September, then by October it will be routine…..
Here are some fun crafts projects I’ve seen to help kickstart the organization efforts:
A Checklist Place Mat via Family Fun:
A Homework Station via Roots and Wings Co:
I suppose I should kick off these grand organization plans by not waiting until the weekend before school starts to buy the supply lists…..Sigh. Off to fight the crowds in the folder aisles!